Tuesday 19 February 2013

Who’s Mr Squiggle?


Mr Squiggle; The Man From The Moon. Remember him?
My gosh he was my absolute favourite when I was young. Growing up out in the country and living behind the only mountain in miles, meant that we couldn’t receive TV signal.

Now as an adult I’m so thankful for this. The amount of time spent playing outside has left me with lasting memories and not to mention a healthier body. I could only dream of that sort of lifestyle for my kids.
On the very odd occasion, if the wind was up, our TV antenna would blow in the perfect position and be stuck for a few days. It was on those days that I got to watch Mr Squiggle.   
 
Today while doing some bookwork with my oldest, Mr 4 created a master piece with recycled bits and pieces. “Oh wow! He looks like Mr Squiggle” I said. There was a long pause and then I heard “Who is Mr Squiggle?” It was time to introduce them to my favourite drawing Moon Man.

Now that I’ve seen the old clip, I can see that this creation actually looks more like Mr Squiggles friend (Gus I think?) than it does Mr Squiggle. It has been a long time.

 

We watched the following youtube clip here. The kids were totally glued to it.  http://youtu.be/qNll00NXzB8
 


Then they decided they would like to have a go at creating pictures from little squiggles. So I drew down a few little bits on some paper and I was so amazed at what they came out with.

An asteroid hitting Earth and Mars just off to the side. Also above is a satellite and a rocket ship going out into space.


 
 
Was this drawing his most perfect creation? Maybe not, but the story behind the picture was amazing and went on and on and on. A lizard that lives in the mountains and is bigger than earth and it eats people and….. and…. and.... It was very beautiful.
 
By the end we had a pretty big collection of drawings and the kids even made me a few squiggles to create a picture with.
Did you have a favourite cartoon when you were younger? Or maybe it was special book that sparked your imagination. I would love to hear about it.  

 


 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED Mr Squiggle. I had to introduce my kids to Mr Squiggle via 'you tube' a few years back . Because if something is upside down I always, always say: "Upside down Miss Jane" So by way of explaining, I showed them. I love the squiggle inspired drawing. I am doing that this weekend - I think it is still going to be raining!!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way.... a few years ago I saw Mr Squiggle in the backseat of a little Barina driving through Paddington in Brisbane. I am convinced it was the real Mr Squiggle!

    Must catch up soon

    xo

    ReplyDelete