Sunday 17 February 2013

Jelly Stacking.



The boys have been asking about Jelly lately. We follow a pretty healthy diet and to be honest I am not really up for my boys having Jelly. Maybe on the very odd occasion, I’m ok with them consuming sugar crystals but I don’t think I would ever consciously make Jelly, just for a treat.

 
 
But seen as this journey is about exploring their interests, I conjured up a deal and they were super happy with it. We could make the Jelly and then do some Jelly sculpturing, so long as.... only the odd bit of Jelly goes into their mouth.
 
Do you know what?? They were so amazed by the cold and sticky texture and bright colours, that they didn’t even stop to try and eat some.


I know that activities where children are exploring through all of their senses is really important, yet it can be hard to find one that includes stimulating their sense of smell. However this one was certainly working their sense of smell.



The negative of this activity would have to be the heat. Even though the end result was really nice and cooling on their little hands, the heat made the moulds melt way too fast. The boys only got to build a few towers, before the stacking became squishing.  
 
I love that my children’s desire for Jelly was able to be explored without it impacting on their healthy little bodies. They were so happy just to be able to play among it. And do you know what, I even loved playing in it. My hands were so relaxed feeling the cold Jelly, I could have done it for ages hehehe.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment